Speaking of Religion ...

Thursday, August 03, 2006

All you need is love ... and maybe something to eat too

As I read this article (http://www.religionnewsblog.com/15472/India--s---Hugging-Saint---Embraced-by-America), I was hammered once again by our calling to love God and love our neighbors as ourselves.
While I cannot buy into Amma's ultimate conclusions (http://www.amma.org/teachings/index.html) about paths of devotion (which she would undoubtedly smile at knowingly) because it involves working (which she also denies, wrongly I think) toward the ultimate goal of "self-realization" through devotion and selfless service (which she believes to be the "safest and most conducive path"), I love that she loves. I can't say that her desire is selfless, as Christ's act of dying on the cross was selfless, because it is clear that she practices devotion and selfless service (Bhakti) out of a desire for this self-realization that she describes. And in the end, that is work; whereas my self-realization through Jesus Christ is that I'm a sinner, there's no amount of work I can do to pay for my sins, so I must freely accept God's freely given grace. This notion of freely given grace is often the sticking point for us, I think. We're not used to the notion of getting something for free. It kind of gives me the willies personally - I feel like I should do something to pay it back or forward or something.

Anyway, to me, Amma's teachings break down logically, but ...

It's difficult to discount such a peacefully and lovingly given love that she seems to hold for people. And it's something people in our disconnected, non-communicative, non-community oriented society long for and want to physically and tangibly touch quite possibly to simply remember that we're human. And Amma, a Hindu, is tangibly giving it out for free.

I think it's also important to point out that different religious systems, though we may not agree with them, have kernels of truth and those kernels of truth need to be embraced rather than rejected, like Amma's want to give selfless love. We Christians should do more of that - Amen? - maybe not by giving out free hugs, but in even more tangible ways like feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, sheltering the homeless or even listening to those who hurt. Christ did mention that it's quite useless to bless someone and tell them to be well without tending to their basic needs like food, clothing and shelter. So while we can see kernels of truth in other religions like Hinduism, we must remember (quite tolerantly, remembering those kernels like Amma's love) that it is a religion in which many venerate numerous gods, tolerate a caste system that dehumanizes the lowest class (called the untouchables) and believe in reincarnation, in which your station in the next life is determined by what you do in this life.

2 Comments:

  • It is commendable that Amma loves so much. We Christians should be doing a lot more loving. Not to mention acts of selfless service. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. Because that's what Jesus told us to do.

    It is interesting, however, the contrast to authentic Christian faith with this teaching of Amma. Ultimately, despite all the propaganda and media hype, Amma's acts of "selfless service" are nothing more than the particular path she has chosen to eradicate the ego from herself and thereby realize who she really is. If you don't believe me, just click on the link provided to Amma's teachings website and read for yourself.

    Here is a direct quote from the website: "Amma always points out that the purpose of one's life is to realize who we really are. She says, 'By realizing our own Self we become full, with nothing more to gain in this life. Life becomes perfect.'" Another section of Amma's website says this: "There is more to life, a higher purpose, which is to know and realize who we are. By knowing who we are, we gain everything."

    Wait a minute. I thought we were talking about "self-less" service. As in, my motivation for doing this is for no other reason than I want to do it, not because there is ultimately something in it for me. But clearly, Amma's motivation is that she believes this path will help her realize her true self -- which, she believes, is the ultimate goal for all people. Now Amma is quick to point out that she is a religious pluralist -- that is, there are many paths that ultimately all lead to the same destination. However, as her webiste notes, "Amma says that the path of devotion and selfless service is the safest and most conducive path for many."

    Logical inconsistencies aside, I do commend the love Amma feels and expresses to humanity. Ultimately, however, I think her pantheistic worldview is misguided and doesn't consistently play out in real life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 PM  

  • I find this to be an excellent and interesting post. For myself, I just finished a great study on polytheism, dualism, etc. What bears keeping in mind that the kingdom of God is not a democracy where different peoples and or nations can run their minds or territories the way they see fit. One God, one faith, one baptism...right? Anyway, the context of the post should inspire those to a thinking-man's look at God's written word. Need I emphasize God?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home